Have you ever wanted to start a blog because you love writing and sharing with others but you weren’t sure how to get started? You’re in the right place, here are my tips on how to start a blog.
Today I’m starting a blog series about blogging. How fitting to start with a start up post. Here you’ll learn all the best tips that I followed to get my blog off the ground and running. I am no expert here, however I’ve spent a lot of time researching and implementing what I’ve learned into my blog start up and I’m excited to share with you how to start a blog!
- Make a plan- decide why you want to blog, what will you share with your readers? What is your short term plan, long term plan? What is your overall direction. Don’t worry, as you grow as a blogger the answers to these questions may change and become more clear. But start with some sort of direction.
- Come up with a Name- this is your first impression to the blogging world, what’s in a name? It’s going to be synonymous with who you are when your blog name is brought up. Make sure you pick a name that can grow with you. I started blogging back in college on a whole other site before I wanted to become serious about my blogging presence and my blog name is now different than it was. This is one of the hardest parts of how to start a blog. At least, it was for me!
- Hosting Site – the best way to start a blog off in the right direction is to get yourself your own fancy hosting site. This is SUPER important because when you use free blogging sites (blogger, blogspot, or wordpress.com) you do not own your own site.
Blue Host is a great starting place for getting a host site and domain. They’re who I trusted to build my blog foundation upon. Go ahead, and use the link shown above to get your awesome deal on your site.
- Install WordPress – wordpress.org not wordpress.com, it’s a super simple process. Simply click install WordPress. This is where all the magic happens
- Design your Brand- this is super important to do before you start posting because again, you have one chance to give a great first impression, and YES, brand matters! There are plenty of free WordPress sites out there that you can customize or you can buy WordPress templates from graphic designers. Etsy has a lot!
You can read more about blog resources that I love here
- Plan your Content- before you start posting your little heart out, I highly suggest planning your content. I took about a month to set up and plan my content for the blog launch. It’s important to have enough content so that your readers have something to come back to. The goal is to gain following that sticks around.
- Do some research on how to optimize each post and how SEO works – this has been super helpful for me because I went into starting this new blog with a lot of new knowledge about how the world wide web works and how to make everything about your post perfect before you hit publish.
Here are some helpful sites that I’ve used to learn about SEO
- Ready…Set…Launch! – you don’t have to be a blogging expert to get yourself started publishing content. I’m far from an expert as I’m learning everyday how to make my blog better. For many of us, blogging is fun and we want to get right into writing and sharing. Use these steps to set yourself in a good direction and then start publishing your pieces.
If you have any tips to share with the FTJ community on starting a blog we would love to hear them! Comment below with your best blogging tips!